I’ve decided that my last blog post of the year will be about my furry baby, Theo.
When last I mentioned him in November, Theo had been sick for some time and getting worse. After spending too much money on diagnostics with still no definitive answers and unable to spend even more, we came to the unhappy conclusion that – at the tender age of only 6 years old – he had some kind of tumour or blockage and was dying.
By early December, Theo had lost 20% of his body weight and ate very little.
Two weeks before Christmas, Theo managed to throw up a long piece of string. Shortly afterwards, 4 large fur balls followed. Overnight he became like a new cat again.
I can’t imagine how sad my Christmas would have been – not to mention the thought of a new year – if I hadn’t been handed this miracle. Now, instead of crying every day, I’m back to laughing every day because of something he’s done.
So I’m going to end this year by repeating from one of my first blog posts in 2013.
Life Lessons I’ve Learned From My Cat …
1. The more affection you give, the more you get back in return.
2. Eat when you’re hungry. Stop eating when you’re not.
3. Naps are good. Stretching after a nap is also really good.
4. Patience really is a virtue. You can learn a lot by listening and watching. Whether or not you choose to do something with that information is a different matter.
5. Curiosity is great but sometimes it can get you into trouble. Recognize when the risks are too high and simply walk away.
6. Sometimes we don’t recognize when someone is trying to help us. We may hiss or bite the helping hand out of anger or fear.
7. Inside our adult body is a child who needs to play. Let him/her out once in while.
8. Seeing the world through only a window (TV/computer screen) may be “safe” but it’s not “living”. We are meant to touch, feel, and explore our world. To do that we need to step outside.
Thank you for making me a part of your blogging community. This past year has been an amazing experience and I’m ending the year with so many wonderful new friends.
Happy New Year!!